HOME          ABout          Wedding          Contact

Friday, March 7, 2014

Nicknames

Everyone's got them. They define us from a very young age. Some of them are hilarious, some of them accurately describe us, and others are just plain weird. 

I have two.

Little one. 

AND

Big Al.

Does anyone else see a problem here? Like do you think I'm huge or tiny? The conflicting messages are confusing my body image (not really). But you can see how it might 
el oh el.


Hi my name is Allison, but you can call me BIG AL. Clearly I'm BIG and INTIMIDATING.

I've been called BIG AL ever since my "softball" days. I say that like I played softball for more than one season or even actually "played" at all. I am by no means a softball girl: meaning I'm not coordinated enough to play softball past the age of eight when they stopped coach pitch. I was the girl in the outfield picking flowers and doing cartwheels. I was also the shortest/tiniest one out there. Hence the nickname "Big" Al. It was like a family joke. Actually my family are the only ones who call me "Al" or "Big Al."

Now everyone calls me that. 

Fast forward 15 years to my first big girl job. I'm still little and people tell me that I look like I'm 12. Oh hey, I'm 22. 

Problem.

 People also think my younger sister is the "oldest." Anyways...they have a nickname for me at work: little one. This one I don't mind. I mean you're calling me little so I'm happy. 

Recently, I made the mistake of telling the people at work my nickname when I was little (Big Al) so now they call me that ALL.THE.TIME. I guess it could be worse. Plus, since they have a nickname(s) for me..I feel like I belong. 

I used to hate the nickname, but now I embrace it. 
(that's really all I can do)

Do you have weird/embarrassing nicknames?


 photo becauseisaidsosig_zps7aaadf76.png

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I used to have the same problem! People always thought my younger sister(we are four years apart) was older than I. I used to find it really frustrating, but you will appreciate it one day. I am approaching 28 now and when I tell people that I have three kids they always look surprised (because they assume I am younger). Which I'm ok with these days. haha Promise you its a good trait so embrace it Big Al! lol
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete