I just got braces and am paying for it dearly. My mouth is going on day 6 of hurting, but it IS getting better. Here are my top ten favorite foods to get you through those first few days/weeks.
1. Macaroni and Cheese. The noodles are easy to mash against the roof of your mouth or swallow whole. Plus it's macaroni--let's be real people.
2. Soup. Tomato and Chicken Noodle are my favorites. I tried Potato soup, but I'd recommend going without the cheese and bacon because those hurt going down if you don't chew them.
3. Yogurt/GoGurt. GoGurt is way more fun than regular yogurt, but it's really a preference.
4. Applesauce. A childhood classic. It's best when refrigerated.
5. Baby food. Yes, I really did try this and no, it's really not that gross. If your feeling really adventurous, try the fruit varieties. Stay with me on this one, I promise I'm not weird. Sometimes, a girls got to do what a girls got to do.
6. Raviolis. Easy to mash against the roof of your mouth and if you're getting tired of the fruit flavored things, this is a good lunch option.
7. Ramen. Be careful with the long noodles. You will likely think you can mash/swallow more than you really can and may
or may not almost choke. Also the noodles get all wrapped around the brackets and it isn't pretty. Don't eat in public.
8. Jello. Another staple. Easy to get down and a variety of flavors.
9. Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. And cue the angel chorus. My most favorite food. I had it for lunch today since I couldn't eat what was being served (poboys). When in doubt, eat mashed potatoes and gravy.
10. Milkshakes/Smoothies. For me, sucking through a straw with my front teeth has been a struggle (those are the most sore) so TIP: suck it through the side of your mouth. Way easier and no pain. I usually get smoothies in the morning for breakfast and milkshakes as a treat.
All of these are great foods to eat when your mouth is sore, but there are some foods you shouldn't eat (mostly because they are annoying).
P.S. I just got my braces off! Click here to read why it's literally the BEST THING EVER!
Shop some of my favorite braces necessities below!