I did it!
I moved back in with my parents. From 6 AM Saturday morning to 6 PM that night, I was moving boxes upon boxes. I still have a few small items to go back and pick up, but for the most part, I'm trying to settle down in my new downsized space.
In retrospect, I would've done a few things differently in preparation to the "big move."
1. Start early! I didn't actually start packing up things until Thursday evening after work. For sure should've started at least Monday! It's easier to load up a car full of boxes than to scramble around last minute and shove random things in random boxes. You will thank yourself later.
2. Collect/Buy lots and lots of boxes/baskets/bags! I was able to snag a few from work, but I definitely should've started collecting them earlier. You really don't realize how much stuff you have until you try to fit an entire apartment into one room. I ended up putting things in boxes, shopping bags, tote bags (like the one from Autumn and Indigo you can win below) Pro Tip: go for the clear storage bins if you can. That way you can tell what's in it.
3. Color code boxes with colorful tape/sharpies! Seriously, this Pinterest idea was actually a life saver. I color coordinated my boxes with colorful duck tape (Pink=room, Blue=living room, Yellow=bathroom, Green=kitchen). That way when it came to figuring out what boxes went to the storage unit and which ones went to the house, it was a faster decision process.
4. Recruit Friends! I am fortunate enough to have some pretty great friends who will spend their entire Saturday helping me pack, organize, and move. Find people like this so you don't have to hire burly moving men who will break your valuables. And, don't forget to feed them--it's the least you can do!
WHAT'S IN THE SUMMERTIME ESSENTIALS BAG:
- Tri-colored Triple Chevron Tote by Autumn and Indigo on Etsy
- Floppy Sunhat
- Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Sea Salt Spray
- EOS Cucumber hand lotion
- Burt's Bees Coconut & Pear lip balm
- 2 Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polishes - shades: Babe Blue & Bare It All
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen - SPF 55
- Ban.Do "Let's Have Fun O.K.?" drink sleeve
- Printed Hair Tie Set of 6
- Round Aviator Sunglasses
- Starfish Charm Necklace
- Sun & Moon Stud Earring Set
- $5 giftcard to Starbucks
- 1-month subscription to MyCoffeeism's coffee box
- Small notebook & pen
The giveaway will run from now,July 27th to Monday, August 3rd at 12:00 am EST. All entries will be verified so tell your friends! Good luck!