This past weekend I hosted a bachelorette party for one of my good friends (recap coming soon!) To say it was one for the books, would be an understatement.
I had way too much junk food and just enough sun. Miraculously, I only gained like a pound, but now, my body hates me. Literally, I can feel a difference--and, believe me, it's not a good difference.
Here's what I'm doing to not reach for the cupcakes and detox after a very fun, but very bad for me weekend:
1. Drink Water. Like you didn't see that one coming. Line the water bottles up and knock them down, so to speak. Rehydrating yourself will make you feel 10x better and get things moving again. I've been guzzling about two-three water bottles during the work day (9AM-5PM) and then two during/after my workout. You won't regret trading your sugary soda with a water bottle!
2. Cut the sugar. All I did this weekend was eat junk--two cupcakes a day (I think I demolished a dozen cupcakes all by myself), plus chips and dip, and a variety of other processed foods. Add in the alcohol and it's a no wonder my body hates me. Sugar is in most every junk food and is arguably more addictive than drugs. If you can stay away from it or cut way back on it, you'll feel better in no time.
3. Get moving. Thank goodness a new session of FitCamp started this week otherwise, I'd become one with the couch. It's a fact: exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy and happy people
just don't shoot their husbands get shit done and don't crave junk food. See a few tips for working out here and here.
4. Fruits + Vegetables. Eat better. I'm trying to incorporate "good for me" foods (whole grains, fruits, and yes, vegetables). And, I acutally signed up for a meal plan from the gym I currently attend and so far so good. The meals are portion and calorie controlled so I'm not overeating, yet still getting the nutrients I need. If you don't have meals to order, just be smart. Don't eat crap.
5. Baby Steps. If you're like me, the effects of the weekend will want to creep back into your routine. Don't let it. It's NOON on Monday and I'm craving a wedding cake cupcake something crazy, but instead of giving in, I drink water. It's mind over matter for a lot of it. But if you cave and get a Venti S'mores Frap from Starbucks, don't beat yourself up, but also don't chase it with a Big Mac. All things in moderation.
How do you get back on track after a weekend of fun (and junk)?