HOME          ABout          Wedding          Contact

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Where are you....Thanksgiving?




Thanks to the million of commercials cycling through TV everyday, I have Christmas songs stuck in my head (I'm looking at you Target). Hello, it's like the first week of November!

I love love love everything about Christmas. What I don't love, is how it keeps creeping up earlier and earlier every year. It was barely the end of October before shelves were stocked full of tinsel and ornaments.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, I love Christmas. It's actually my favorite holiday. But, aren't we forgetting about Thanksgiving?

The whole purpose of this upcoming holiday season is to be THANKFUL and SELFLESS. Thankful for the life we live and the family we have. Thankful for the small things we take for granted every day. NOT looking so forward to Black Friday and rushing through Thanksgiving dinner to get the best sales. (Josh has to be at work at 5PM on Thanksgiving--like what?)

How selfish. 

And the sad thing is, it's engrained in us. Think back to the commercials I mentioned earlier. They start running earlier and earlier every year, making you think about what you WANT and what you think you need--present and decoration wise. I'm just as guilty of it.

I make it a point each year to not start listening to Christmas music until AFTER Thanksgiving. It's really the one thing I can semi-control and I think waiting makes it more special, and believe me, this year it's hard!

I want to challenge everyone who reads this post to take a second and be thankful for the things in your life. Don't skip over Thanksgiving. Instead, enjoy the holiday--crazy families or not. Let it serve as an important reminder--be thankful in ALL things.



1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I love Christmas too, but Thanksgiving is first. It is it's own holiday, and we need to remember that. I will admit, it has been snowing all day, and it does kind of make me want to decorate for Christmas. But I refuse to do that until AFTER Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete