HOME          ABout          Wedding          Contact

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

How To: Train your Dog to NOT sleep in your bed

From the very first moment we adopted Laney, she's been treated anything but a dog. She's our little spoiled princess dog child.

We tried to crate train her, but due to the fact that she lived with Josh in a fraternity house for the first year of her life, it lasted about a day before the maintenance men busted us. 

From that point, we knew she would never stay in the crate without yelping at the top of her lungs. So we left her out. She'd usually be lounging on the couch when we'd check on her between classes. We bought her a cute little Mattha Stuart bed and all was going great until 1. She chewed it up and 2. Josh dropped books on her while he was studying at his desk. ( we aren't terrible dog parents I promise. There's a learning curve with this kind of stuff right?)

We were doomed. Laney had us wrapped around her little paw and right where she wanted us. She then would sleep in the bed. My bed, his bed, under the covers, head on the pillow--like a human. Josh still feels terribly responsible to this day. But, now it's a real problem. Laney isn't a puppy anymore. She's 35 pounds and stretches all the way out, sheds like crazy, and kicks during the night. Of course, there are many other reasons why your dog-child shouldn't sleep with you (which I've already touched on).

Exhibit A: Laney, in my bed. Head on the pillow. Living the life.


Step1. Create boundaries. Will they be allowed on the couch, just not on the bed? Or no human lounging surfaces at all. We still let Laney on the couch, just not the bed. We aren't THAT cruel.

Step 2. Get them a bed of their own. Very important. I put Laney's bed right next to my bed so she feels like she's still sleeping with me, but in reality, she isn't. Make them comfy in their OWN bed. 

Step 3. Enforce. Enforce. Enforce. Consistency is key. When they try to get on the bed, firmly say NO. (no matter how cute those puppy dog eyes are).




Obviously we are still new at this and it's no surprise that Laney whined literally ALL night last night, but it must be done. (it's four years over due). Take it from me, it's better to train them young, then to try  four years later!

Have any tips for us? We'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. I so did this with my first hubby when we got a puppy. He was so small and adorable so I let him sleep on my pillow. 65 pounds later I never had a spot in the bed! I have a cat now with my current hubby and we talk about getting a dog and I will TOTALLY crate train him or her because there is no way I am letting that happen twice.

    ReplyDelete